Sometimes I wish I were an alcoholic

"Sometimes I Wish I were an Alcoholic"
Ever wonder why alcoholics just can't stop drinking? Well, I understand! Alcohol is to alcoholics as Food is to me. I am a foodaholic (not the healthy kind) except I can't just step away from the liquor cabinet. I have to eat, I have to make sure Mike eats and that Finn eats. I have to think about it all the time and make decisions concerning it which feels like every second of the day. This is a disease that has taken over my life and the lives of my enablers (friends and family) whom I love more than life itself. Food has ruined my heart, my body and part of my self-esteem.



Do not cry because I will survive, I will overcome Food and fight it to the bitter end in the name of my family and friends but most of all for ME!















Tuesday, June 14, 2011

"What exactly are you having?"

Many people have asked, "What kind of surgery are you having?"
I am having the Gastric Sleeve. This is a relatively new procedure that has had positive results with many patients. I am choosing this procedure because it is not as invasive as the Gastric Bypass (the stomach is made into a pouch and the intestines are reworked/reattached) and it doesn't involve a foreign object permamently placed in my body (Gastric Lap Band Procedure) which gets tighten over time.
 The added benefits are that I will eventually be able to eat regular foods again but in obviously smaller quatities. Also, the part of the stomach that excretes the hormone ghrelin, which is responsible for cravings and feeling hungry, is removed in the section of the stomach that is cut off from the sleeve (please see illustration).

No comments:

Post a Comment