Today was my first Group Sharing Session. Once a month patients who are thinking about having bariatric surgery as well as those who have had surgery get together for an hour to share thoughts, ideas, suggestions on coping with the lifestyle change that they may have taken or are contemplating. When I say that Fat does not discriminate, I'm talking about across the board. At the meeting there were women, men (well 1 man), young people, old people, white people, black people, Hispanic (me), WASPS, straight people, gay people, poor people, well off people- every walk of life was represented at the session. The only thing that tied us all together was our Fat (why do I capitalize the F--why do I give that word a proper deliniation). We all shared the same struggles with weight and all talked about the ups and downs we had all experienced over the years. One lady mentioned that she had lost 100 pounds then gained 200 pounds back (I could not help but Gasp to myself--200 pounds?? OMG). To see her at the meeting no one could have ever imagined. She's in shape and petite (I couldn't even have pictured her to be unhealthy).
Sometimes we can judge others by what they look like. At the meeting, it was like everyone who was there was a friend. Kind of funny how perfect strangers can look into your life and understand what you have been going through more than a best friend, a husband or a mother.
Sometimes I think that I have a big heart and it is a disadvantage but not tonight. Tonight I felt fulfilled and my decision was validated. I felt for everyone at the meeting. I have told a few of my closest friends that I feel a warming sensation come over my body every once in a while and some type of feeling or message has to be passed on (obviously the Holy Spirit) and I am compelled to tell them that I had no idea where that came from. The only phrase that I can use to describe this overwhelming sense of love is "My cup overflows."
For those of you that are worried about me or for me, please keep in mind that I have a better chance of being here for my family with the surgery rather than without.
I could totally identify with the now petite woman. I know that if I do not have the surgery...300 pounds will be right around the corner. No matter the race, sex or SES...everyone could identify with one another on the FAT level and those that had the surgery stated with resounding certainty that no matter the struggle of the life style change they would most definetly have the surgery again. 'Nuff said!
Committed to Kids, Weight Watchers, Personal Trainers (3 different people), Nutrisystem, Sugar Busters, Atkins, Calorie Counting, FAT counting and South Beach are some of the unsuccessful measures that I have taken to combat my illness, obesity. I am on the road to getting bariatric surgery.
Sometimes I wish I were an alcoholic
"Sometimes I Wish I were an Alcoholic"
Ever wonder why alcoholics just can't stop drinking? Well, I understand! Alcohol is to alcoholics as Food is to me. I am a foodaholic (not the healthy kind) except I can't just step away from the liquor cabinet. I have to eat, I have to make sure Mike eats and that Finn eats. I have to think about it all the time and make decisions concerning it which feels like every second of the day. This is a disease that has taken over my life and the lives of my enablers (friends and family) whom I love more than life itself. Food has ruined my heart, my body and part of my self-esteem.
Do not cry because I will survive, I will overcome Food and fight it to the bitter end in the name of my family and friends but most of all for ME!
Ever wonder why alcoholics just can't stop drinking? Well, I understand! Alcohol is to alcoholics as Food is to me. I am a foodaholic (not the healthy kind) except I can't just step away from the liquor cabinet. I have to eat, I have to make sure Mike eats and that Finn eats. I have to think about it all the time and make decisions concerning it which feels like every second of the day. This is a disease that has taken over my life and the lives of my enablers (friends and family) whom I love more than life itself. Food has ruined my heart, my body and part of my self-esteem.
Do not cry because I will survive, I will overcome Food and fight it to the bitter end in the name of my family and friends but most of all for ME!
No comments:
Post a Comment