Sometimes I wish I were an alcoholic

"Sometimes I Wish I were an Alcoholic"
Ever wonder why alcoholics just can't stop drinking? Well, I understand! Alcohol is to alcoholics as Food is to me. I am a foodaholic (not the healthy kind) except I can't just step away from the liquor cabinet. I have to eat, I have to make sure Mike eats and that Finn eats. I have to think about it all the time and make decisions concerning it which feels like every second of the day. This is a disease that has taken over my life and the lives of my enablers (friends and family) whom I love more than life itself. Food has ruined my heart, my body and part of my self-esteem.



Do not cry because I will survive, I will overcome Food and fight it to the bitter end in the name of my family and friends but most of all for ME!















Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Shopping is the New Food

It's amazing how much effort I had to put into everything that I did when I was 20 pounds heavier or 50 pounds lighter (still overweight). Being overweight is exhausting mentally and physically.

Mentally-When I would get a compliment on my clothing..I would hope that none of my skinny friends or family would ask where I got my outfit. Because I have been in denial I would not want to say one of the plus size clothing stores. When I was in high school and having to get my pants at Lane Bryant...I was mortified to pass a shop where I knew someone was working so as not to let them see the name on the bag that I was carrying. My mom would let me put my bags inside her bags so that no one would know where I had been. I would lie to some of my closest friends about where I would get some of my clothes because I was embarrassed to tell them the truth. Eventually as I got older and made more money, I was able to shop at Macys, Dillards and Talbots all of which have all sizes so I could feel confident saying either one of those stores.

Physically-I never went shopping with my friends because they were all skinny. I have always shopped alone due to the stores they shopped at not having my size and vice versa. I was embarrassed to go into stores with them and not be able to shop for myself.  In retrospect, the isolation only fueled the eating and the denial.

I'm now starting a new outlook on shopping: "Shopping is the New Food"
I have started letting Mike shop with me. I go into the store, pick out what I like and model for him.
Just this weekend, I was so excited when I went shopping that I pulled the 2 sizes down from what I was wearing before surgery. The lowest size actually was a little big on me....this actually felt as good on my body and in my mind as the queso from Superior Grill tastes. I was ecstatic!! Being able to fit in the smaller jeans made all of the sacrifice worth it.

If you are wondering how I'm gonna afford all this new clothes....
When I was heavier, I would buy clothes and they would stay in my closet with the tags on. I had hundreds of  dollars of clothes in my closet that no one has ever seen--it was a waste. I was using the clothes to cover up my body and to keep myself in denial. No matter how expensive the clothes or how much clothes I had bought..nothing made me feel as good as I feel now. Now, I am slowly building a new wardrobe that fits my changing body.

No comments:

Post a Comment