Sometimes I wish I were an alcoholic

"Sometimes I Wish I were an Alcoholic"
Ever wonder why alcoholics just can't stop drinking? Well, I understand! Alcohol is to alcoholics as Food is to me. I am a foodaholic (not the healthy kind) except I can't just step away from the liquor cabinet. I have to eat, I have to make sure Mike eats and that Finn eats. I have to think about it all the time and make decisions concerning it which feels like every second of the day. This is a disease that has taken over my life and the lives of my enablers (friends and family) whom I love more than life itself. Food has ruined my heart, my body and part of my self-esteem.



Do not cry because I will survive, I will overcome Food and fight it to the bitter end in the name of my family and friends but most of all for ME!















Saturday, July 16, 2011

A New Life Has Begun

Thank you to everyone that called, texted, emailed, facebook'd(?), and visited. I truly appreciate your thoughts and prayers.
I had my Surgery at 7:30am this past Monday morning. I pretty much slept all day on Monday despite the horrible nausea that I experienced for the first 24 hours. Side note: Whomever the drug company is for Zofran ODT (Orally Disintegrating Tablets) you seriously need to go to the local hospitals and push your drug!!! Zofran is an anti-nausea medication that is really effective. Nurses and some doctors looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked for Zofran in between the Phenergan drips. SO you know that nice pain pump button was not as great as they say it is because I was actually scared to push it (The pain medication is what caused the nausea). Not only was I in pain but I was nauseated as well. My new stomach did not appreciate all of the torment that I had put it through.  The doctor did not want to prescribe me the Zofran for some reason so my only other option was something not by mouth. This was really not even an option because who wants to do that. Everything went great as far as my surgery is concerned with no complications--thank you Healthcare peeps to those of you that paid attention to my medical history and took my blood sugar and blood pressure (I got a little nervous when one nurse didn't even know that I was diabetic).

My new life has begun. I've encountered some roadblocks that I did not think of before the surgery:
Pros: I'm never "hungry"-I actually have to remember to eat, I'm losing weight and am not trying (woo-hoo!!--going to buy a scale today), blood sugar range (102-130-calling endocrinologist on Monday), No "out of the blue cravings"
Cons: Wondering if friends and family will exclude me from outtings because they think I cannot go anymore, having to remember to eat (I have to make sure I eat/drink enough protein a day), watching TV with people on the TV eating pizza, nachos and yummy comfort foods.
I'm sure that the list will go on and on for pros and cons but I am wondering if the road blocks will stay under the same headings?
Anyway..just as anyone else has told me...despite all of the little hiccups along the way, I would encourage anyone who is looking for a life changing weight change to take the plunge.

3 comments:

  1. Kathy...I was thinking about you this week. So happy to hear that you are satisfied so far with your surgery...can't wait to see pics of the new you! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy - I met you at last months' support meeting at Ochsner. I'm glad to see that you had your surgery and are doing well. I have been waiting for three weeks for Dr.Richardsons office to send all my test results to United Healthcare for their final approval so I can get on the schedule. Did you have a problem with this occurring? Also, remind me which of the surgeries you had. I am planning to have the sleeve but have never even met the doctor. How are you doing with the liquid diet this week, I am very nervouse about the before/after two weeks on liquids. Thanks for sharing - Beverly Alley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs. Alley,
    I had the gastric sleeve procedure. My surgery was not covered by my insurance so I was private pay which sped the process up in my favor. You should meet with Dr. Richardson and he can help you decide on which procedure is the right one for you. The 2 weeks before and after are not easy but I figure that I can do whatever I put my mind to-it also helped that I had someone doing it with me.
    Please send me your email and we can talk more.
    kathy@tlcrxpharmacy.com

    ReplyDelete