Sometimes I wish I were an alcoholic

"Sometimes I Wish I were an Alcoholic"
Ever wonder why alcoholics just can't stop drinking? Well, I understand! Alcohol is to alcoholics as Food is to me. I am a foodaholic (not the healthy kind) except I can't just step away from the liquor cabinet. I have to eat, I have to make sure Mike eats and that Finn eats. I have to think about it all the time and make decisions concerning it which feels like every second of the day. This is a disease that has taken over my life and the lives of my enablers (friends and family) whom I love more than life itself. Food has ruined my heart, my body and part of my self-esteem.



Do not cry because I will survive, I will overcome Food and fight it to the bitter end in the name of my family and friends but most of all for ME!















Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Taking the Easy Way Out

I had originally started thinking about getting bariatric surgery in 2001. I went to see a doctor, did the psych evaluation, sleep study and everything else required for gastric-bypass surgery. At the time my insurance did not approve me for the procedure so I kind of forgot about the idea until this year. I figured that maybe because I was not "big enough" or "unhealthy enough" for the surgery and that maybe I was "taking the easy way out." Since 2001 before I let everyone know that I was contemplating surgery, I had heard a family member mention that the surgery is an easy way out. A friend of mine who had bariatric surgery herself mentioned that she had thought that she had taken "the easy way out." Well, let me just tell everyone, especially anyone who is contemplating having surgery or who has had surgery that this surgery is in no way an easy way out, just ask my family, friends, and even my co-workers. I was on a liquid diet for 4 weeks straight (2 weeks before surgery and 2 weeks after)-it was the hardest month of my life. Everything that I had learned about eating had to be thrown out of the window and a new way of eating had to be learned. I have to eat much slower than I have ever eaten-eating too fast has caused me to be sick on a couple of occasions. Obviously I have to eat less-learning to eat less has also caused me to be sick more than once.
Not only has the surgery affected my eating but also my way of life. This past weekend was jam-packed with activities during the day and partying at night. This took a huge toll on my quality of life this week. I did too much too fast!! Yesterday, I reverted back to a self-imposed liquid diet to help my body get back to a normal state. Mike has once again stepped up to take care of Finn while I went to bed early (7pm) yesterday and will probably go to bed early again tonight.
This new life is a better life in terms of my health but is in now way an easier way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment