Sometimes I wish I were an alcoholic

"Sometimes I Wish I were an Alcoholic"
Ever wonder why alcoholics just can't stop drinking? Well, I understand! Alcohol is to alcoholics as Food is to me. I am a foodaholic (not the healthy kind) except I can't just step away from the liquor cabinet. I have to eat, I have to make sure Mike eats and that Finn eats. I have to think about it all the time and make decisions concerning it which feels like every second of the day. This is a disease that has taken over my life and the lives of my enablers (friends and family) whom I love more than life itself. Food has ruined my heart, my body and part of my self-esteem.



Do not cry because I will survive, I will overcome Food and fight it to the bitter end in the name of my family and friends but most of all for ME!















Sunday, July 17, 2011

Commonality between Chaz Bono and Myself

I never pictured myself saying out loud (or writing in a blog) that I can I identify with Chaz Bono (Formerly Chastity Bono). For those of you that do not know Chaz Bono, he is a transgenedered person that is seeking and has sought Gender Reassignment Surgery. He has a show on Oprah's Network documenting the steps that he is taking in becoming a man. Poor Mike--I always have him watching shows that he would not have chosen on his own albeit, the longer we are together the more open-minded he has become. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am pretty open-minded (thanks to my mom and dad) and open to learning new things. Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll have always been interesting to me because I live my life conservatively but love to learn about the other aspects of life without actually having to experience them.I do not think that I know any transgendered people so I'm pretty intrigued. As I was watching his show, somehow I could identify with him on a few levels. Man--how rough it must have been to grow up with a beautiful mom, Cher. A mom that was never overweight, not bad on the eyes and was her own person. I have no idea what it is to be the daughter of a famous sex siren but I do know what it is to be a daughter of a beautiful woman that men always admire, who is intelligent, who goes for what she wants and who is not afraid to be herself. Somehow when we were together people always looked at her--she's so exotic and pretty. In my earlier years I would hear from other people..."You have such a pretty face (in my head: the rest of you sucks)." The absolute worst was when I was 23 (?) my mom went to a Dr. John concert at the House of Blues with my friends and I. We lost someone to the bathroom so my mom and I went to go get them. Everyone knows that I'm a sweater. To know me is to know that Kathy sweats! At the end of the concert...the lights came on (I always hate that part) I was drenched from the dancing and bodies that were standing less than an inch away on each side. There were 2 men about 70 years old standing by the bar. Anyone knows that you have to pass the bar to get to the bathroom so as we were passing them I heard, "The mother looks better than the daughter." OMG---horrible!!! What I should have said was I'm sorry, what does it matter to you-you can't even get it up (apologies to friends and family I may have offended-felt it was warranted). Mom said that she didn't hear it but I sure did.
I can not imagine being Chastity while going through her chubby stage or her awkward teenage years and having to be compared to Cher, what a tremendous stress. After having weight loss surgery I am starting to become the person on the outside that I have always thought that I could be-learning to love myself by not putting crap into my body. I'm feeling more comfortable with whom I am and who I am becoming. I totally understand Chaz' need to make his outside match his inside.
Thankfully-My mom is the reason for the self-confidence that I do have. She has always instilled in me that I can do what ever I put my mind to. She would say, "Kathy...no one is better than you!" Sometimes I find myself watching whatever TV show is on at the moment thinking...I can do that.."I can win Top Chef (anyone that knows me must be laughing out loud), I could be on Survivor, I could whip some serious butt on the Biggest Loser." She has made me the success that I am today. Thank you Mom for believing in me---no matter my weight.

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing and inspiring person. I am proud to call you my friend. Thank you for sharing your story Kathy. Love you! Christy

    ReplyDelete