It has been 2 weeks since my surgery and I am feeling great. The small incisions are healing quickly so I will definetly be ready for bikini season next year (yeahh right!!) I have gone down 2 dress sizes since I started this journey almost 2 months ago. The scale can be very discouraging....it shows that I lost 20 pounds so far but not an ounce more...ugh!!! I know I can't just focus on the scale but I can hear most of my trainers in my head.."the number on the scale has to go down." I think my body "retracts before impact" just like that song says so I'm not so patiently waiting for the impact to show on the scale.
I also have to start exercising...I'm dreading it. It's so hot outside and how am I gonna deal with the loss of sweat and not being able to guzzle water after I'm done? The guzzling part has been the worst to stop. I literally have to take smaller sips or take a sip and divide it up to swallow. I no longer drink from straws (feels so unlady-like; not to mention the burping like a man) to avoid trapping air in my stomach nor do I drink carbonated beverages to avoid the extra gas. The only thing that I have asked Mike not to bring in the house is carbonated beverages particularly fountain drinks. There's really nothing much better than a Coca-Cola from McDonald's or from a convenience store (better than alcohol).
As a working mom I have always combatted the guilt of feeling like I'm not spending enough time with Finn, not being at his beckon call, not able to bring him to every MD appointment, not able to stay home with him during the summer so that he can relax in his own home with his mom like I did and the list goes on and on. Now, as a working mom that is on a diet that needs to exercise after work I feel even guiltier....Am I being too selfish by getting a membership to Elmwood so that I can spin with one of my friends on Saturdays, Zumba during the week and other exercises? Part of me thinks that he won't notice too much if I'm gone for the hour but that hour with him is so precious and he is getting bigger by the second. I'm still dealing with this issue everyday and I will join Elmwood soon....maybe KidSport has a mommy's time off where he can play while I work out??? I have to check into that.
Committed to Kids, Weight Watchers, Personal Trainers (3 different people), Nutrisystem, Sugar Busters, Atkins, Calorie Counting, FAT counting and South Beach are some of the unsuccessful measures that I have taken to combat my illness, obesity. I am on the road to getting bariatric surgery.
Sometimes I wish I were an alcoholic
"Sometimes I Wish I were an Alcoholic"
Ever wonder why alcoholics just can't stop drinking? Well, I understand! Alcohol is to alcoholics as Food is to me. I am a foodaholic (not the healthy kind) except I can't just step away from the liquor cabinet. I have to eat, I have to make sure Mike eats and that Finn eats. I have to think about it all the time and make decisions concerning it which feels like every second of the day. This is a disease that has taken over my life and the lives of my enablers (friends and family) whom I love more than life itself. Food has ruined my heart, my body and part of my self-esteem.
Do not cry because I will survive, I will overcome Food and fight it to the bitter end in the name of my family and friends but most of all for ME!
Ever wonder why alcoholics just can't stop drinking? Well, I understand! Alcohol is to alcoholics as Food is to me. I am a foodaholic (not the healthy kind) except I can't just step away from the liquor cabinet. I have to eat, I have to make sure Mike eats and that Finn eats. I have to think about it all the time and make decisions concerning it which feels like every second of the day. This is a disease that has taken over my life and the lives of my enablers (friends and family) whom I love more than life itself. Food has ruined my heart, my body and part of my self-esteem.
Do not cry because I will survive, I will overcome Food and fight it to the bitter end in the name of my family and friends but most of all for ME!
Don't freak over the scale! It was my hardest issue. Now that you are working out, you are gaining muscle, which will help you burn the fat quicker. Unfortunately, the muscle gain fools the scale even tho the size goes down. Also, with time with Finn, you are saving your life right now so you can be with him his whole life! The hour a day you lose with him will turn into years that you gain with him! Keep up the good work! I love reading your post!
ReplyDeleteAnd you have encouraged me to start my own blog about my journey!
~Steph S.
I say the same thing. After going through the same surgery five years ago, don't worry about the scale, the pounds will come off...I PROMISE, and as for Finn, he will have many more years to be with you that would not have been last month in his future....Smile, chin up, life is good for you and family from now on. I know the doubts and anxieties but all is well!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLee Ann St.Pe